In collaboration with Ready to Run®, a program of The Center for American Women and Politics (CAWP), we have our sights set on increasing opportunities for women and girls to lead our democracy. Ready to Run® has a presence in more than 20 states. We are dedicated to expanding this program to all 50 states. With your help, we will get there sooner! Buy a True North Bracelet here to do just that!
CAWP is the nation's premiere resource on all things women and American politics. CAWP's education and outreach programs translate research findings into action, addressing women's under-representation in political leadership with effective, imaginative programs serving a variety of audiences. Keep up with the latest from CAWP on Facebook and Twitter.
Facts, links and resources
- Research shows that women make government more inclusive, transparent and accessible.
- Women make up more than 52% of the population but hold less than 25% of elected positions.
- Since 1999, we’ve seen almost no growth in the number of women serving in state legislatures.
- Women hold fewer seats in the U.S. Congress than in Mexico, Pakistan or China. In fact, we rank 104th in the world.
- Women in the U.S. Congress 2017: 105 women hold seats in the United States Congress (78D, 27R), comprising 19.6% of the 535 members; 21 women (21%) serve in the United States Senate, and 84 women (19.3%) serve in the United States House of Representatives.
- Get the 2017 stats here about where women are running and find the buzz on who’s running in 2018 here. Get the latest numbers from CAWP, and check back regularly for updates.
* Data as of June 2017 compiled by the Center for American Women and Politics, Eagleton Institute of Politics, Rutgers University